HI, I'm Theresa and I'm back to tell you more about Cerebral Palsy.
It is estimated that some 500,000 children and adults in the United States manifest one or more of the symptoms of cerebral palsy. Currently, about 8,000 babies and infants are diagnosed with the condition each year. In addition, some 1,200 - 1,500 preschool age children are recognized each year to have Cerebral Palsy. Cerebral Palsy is one of the most common physical disabilities in the world. We should all know more about it and about the people who are living with it every day.
Cerebral Palsy is a physical disorder that can affect your voice, arms, legs, motor skills and eating. The effects of having Cerebral Palsy can vary from person to person. Due to physical and other limitations people with Cerebral Palsy sometimes need accommodations.
I have Cerebral Palsy. Some accommodations I had in school were extended time to walk or use my wheelchair in the hallway. I also got extended time to take tests and some of them were read to me. I have found that accommodations made my life easier and helped me to do what others can do.
There are many ways people can get accommodations for Cerebral Palsy. Types of accommodations are:
Help in Performing Activities of Daily Living:
· Provide an accessible restroom
· Assign classrooms close to an accessible restroom
· Allow the use of personal care attendants
· Allow the use of a service animal
· Schedule classes to allow extra time for activities of daily living (ADL)
Help in Accessing Classrooms:
· Provide accessible parking, an accessible route of travel, and accessible entrances/exits
· Install lightweight doors or automatic door openers
· Maintain unobstructed hallways, aisles, and means of egress
· Provide an accessible classroom desk or portable wheelchair desk
Help in Taking Notes:
· Use a laptop computer with alternative computer input device/software
· Use writing and grip aids
· Provide a note taker
· Provide a copy of the instructor’s notes or outline
Help in Studying and Test Taking:
· Use a computer software program for self-editing, word prediction, and grammar/spell check
· Use an electronic organizer, post notes/reminders
· Allow extra time to complete homework assignments
· Provide a scribe
Help in Communicating with Others:
· Use a communication aid with speech output
· Add communication software/speech synthesizer to a laptop
· Use a speech clarification device