Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I think a lot about bullying these days. Movies are addressing it. Educational programs are trying to eliminate it. Still, I think it's easy to ignore it unless you're the one being bullied. And even then people advise you to ignore it.  They say "kids will be cruel" just forget about it. I've read that 13 million kids in this country are bullied. That's a lot of bullying to ignore.

If you haven't been bullied, I am certain you've been a bully bystander at one time or another. Wondering what to do and how to do it without becoming the next bullying victim? Experts tell you to use humor or to walk away or to stand up to a bully with catch phrases like "Get a life and leave me alone!" Got any strategies that have worked for you?

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Marilee P. MadabhushiJune 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

    My daughter was severely bullied during her Middle School years. She's now all grown up, but I still remember the difficult times she went through. Some of here favourite sayings were as follows

    1. Excuse me?
    2. Sorry, I don't really care about your opinions.
    3. I just hear plain old words.

    I still get the chills when I think about some of those things that those girls said to her. But just remember, it gets better. Does anyone have any other good phrases like these, because one of my colleagues children is getting picked on during class, and I really want to help them.

    ReplyDelete