Monday, September 10, 2012

I had dinner the other night with a young teacher I know. We happened to be talking about a woman  who had taken on a pretty difficult job and wasn't doing as well as we expected her to do. The job was outside of her training and work experience and expertise but she had volunteered to do it and we thought she should take it more seriously. Maybe she was burnt out with her other responsibilities, I offered. She is after all a full time teacher and mother, I told her. My young friend wasn't impressed with my explanation. She looked at me in disbelief. Then she responded that maybe we shouldn't expect that much from her. She couldn't be that smart, anyway, she said.  She's a special education teacher.

So now it's not just kids in special education who aren't that smart. It's their teachers, as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment